Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lows and sickness.

We have various sicknesses in the family over the past couple of weeks. Ranging from the sniffles through to vomiting and diarrhoea but nothing too serious or lasting long enought o warrant a doctor visit.

But the most surprising and worrying thing has been the lows DD#4 Miss F has had. In the last 7 months since transferring to glibenclamide (glyburide) from insulin I have become used to F's BGLs being pretty even. I am still testing at least 4 times a day but the numbers don't move too much. If she is sick they usually go up slightly.

This time is has been different. She has gone low. Not really low but 2.1, 2.6 and 2.4 have been seen over the weekend. So Saturday around midnight found me spooning apple puree into Miss F. She was 3.5 at breakfast which was reasonable I thought. I then halved her dose and got some better numbers for the day.

I have also only given her her suspension after I have seen how much she has eaten as she has been only eating smaller amounts. Yesterday one BGL reading was 10.1, so I have since increased the dosage to 2 thirds her normal dose as long as she has eaten.

In amongst this all I was trying to extend the time we use her bottle of medication last Thrusday and Friday. The pharmacy recommends using each bottle for only a week. I would dearly love not to have to trot off to the hospital each week. So I will have to experiment a lttle bit again when she is well. Now I don't know if the lower numbers I was getting mean that the suspension is fine to use for up to 2 weeks or more or if F's BGLs were lower because she was getting sick.  Back to the drawing board.

No comments: