Thursday, February 3, 2011

Recording medical history

As with any type of history it is most probably better to record it as you go. But I am currently trying to reconstruct the path to F being diagnosed with diabetes. And then finding out about her rare type of diabetes.

I had certainly never heard of Neonatal Diabetes but I remember asking one of the diabetes educators if there are other types of diabetes. Ones not caused by an auto-immune response but with something going wrong in the pathway to producing insulin. Little did I know how close to the truth I was. If she was born and diagnosed 6 years earlier we would have never known. The discovery was only made in 2004/2005.
I so glad we sought answers and that the answer was KCNJ11 - R201H. And being treated with sulfonylureas instead of insulin.

No comments: